This 2022 rodent cell study used the natural form of sulforaphane to replicate experiments performed with mixtures of its natural and unnatural forms:
“Natural sulforaphane (SFN) exists as a single enantiomer with a RS absolute configuration. Most studies focusing on its biological activities, in particular its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activities, have been conducted using its racemic (rac) form. rac-SFN has shown these effects in several in vitro and in vivo models.
These findings demonstrate that (R)-SFN was able to:
- Modulate inflammatory response and oxidative stress induced by LPS stimulation in murine peritoneal macrophages;
- Reduce pro-inflammatory enzyme expression (iNOS, COX-2 and mPGES-1) and cytokine production (IL-1β, IL-6, IL-17, IL-18 and TNF-α);
- Inhibit MAPK, JAK2/STAT-3, and canonical and non-canonical inflammasome signaling pathways;
- Reduce NO and ROS levels and up-regulate the Nrf-2/HO-1 axis; and
- Modulate epigenetic changes through histone methylation (H3K9me3) and deacetylation (H3K18ac).
(R)-SFN could be a new epinutraceutical compound useful for management of several immunoinflammatory diseases.”
https://www.mdpi.com/1424-8247/15/8/966/htm “Immunomodulatory Effects of (R)-Sulforaphane on LPS-Activated Murine Immune Cells: Molecular Signaling Pathways and Epigenetic Changes in Histone Markers”