Armando asked a good question in Upgrade your brain’s switchboard with broccoli sprouts:
“Is there any way to consume sulphorafane in a supplement form? Rather than have to jump so many hops to consume it from broccoli.”
That blog post referenced a 2017 study, whose sulforaphane amount was:
“100 µmol [17.3 mg] sulforaphane as standardized broccoli sprout extract in the form of 2 gel capsules.”
One answer in A pair of broccoli sprout studies was No:
- “Plasma and urinary levels of total SFN [sulforaphane] metabolites were ~3–5 times higher in sprout consumers compared to BSE [broccoli sprout extract] consumers.
- In sprout consumers, plasma concentrations were 2.4-fold higher after consuming the second dose than after the first dose.
- Calculated SFN bioavailability from broccoli sprouts exceeded 100%.”
That study was from 2015, though. Are better products than broccoli sprout extracts available now?
Image from the US Library of Congress
During Week 5 of Changing an inflammatory phenotype with broccoli sprouts, back in May when I still believed impossible things like we would:
- Wake up!
- Resist being herded, and
- Learn from July 4, 1776, by insisting on our rights against the worldwide power grab,
I contacted a distributor of a dried broccoli sprout powder for evidence of their claim:
“Independent assays confirm that EnduraCELL yields more Sulforaphane per gram and per dose than any other broccoli sprout ingredient available! These assays showed that EnduraCell yields around 3.5 times more SULFORAPHANE than the next highest broccoli sprout product.”
I’ve asked three times for the lab assays. They declined each time to provide the data. In correspondence the company founder said:
“Each 700 mg capsules yields around 15mg sulforaphane.”
The company founder has written several reviews, one of which is entitled Sulforaphane and Other Nutrigenomic Nrf2 Activators: Can the Clinician’s Expectation Be Matched by the Reality? In Section 6.5 Sulforaphane it stated:
“By calculation, MYR [myrosinase]-active whole broccoli sprout supplement yielding 1% SFN could deliver 10 mg SFN per gram of powder, corresponding to ~12 grams of fresh broccoli sprouts (dried powder retains ~8% moisture).“
The 2017 study’s dosage of “100 µmol [17.3 mg] sulforaphane as standardized broccoli sprout extract” weighed a gram or less, for a 1.73% sulforaphane yield. A broccoli sprout powder may have a 15 mg / 700 mg = 2.14% sulforaphane yield.
calculations from Estimating daily consumption of broccoli sprout compounds and Our model clinical trial for Changing to a youthful phenotype with broccoli sprouts, I eat 131 grams of 3-day-old broccoli sprouts daily. That would be 131 g / 12 = 10.9 grams of a broccoli sprout powder.
The equivalent sulforaphane dosage would be
10.9 g x 21.4 mg per gram = 233.3 mg! That’s obviously too high. What isn’t right?
Subsequent investigation of a distributor’s site found this table:
The study referenced for equivalence was Sulforaphane treatment of autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Calculations:
- The 100 µmol sulforaphane amount for 90 kg participants weighed 17.73 mg per https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/sulforaphane.
- The equivalent broccoli sprout powder sulforaphane yield is 0.01773 / 3.6 g = 0.4925%. That’s 5 mg of sulforaphane per gram of broccoli sprout powder.
- 0.4925% / 2.14 % = 0.23. Decrementing the above sulforaphane weight gives 233.3 mg x .23 = 54 mg.
The answer to my question What isn’t right? I relied on private correspondence rather than what a vendor publicly disclosed.
I’m not particularly concerned about analytical uncertainties for myself. Whatever the numbers are, microwaving techniques for fresh broccoli sprouts increase them.
I immerse 3-day-old broccoli sprouts in 100 ml distilled water, then microwave them on 1000W full power for 35 seconds to ≤ 60°C (140°F) per Microwave broccoli to increase sulforaphane levels. Worst-case estimates are
52 mg sulforaphane with microwaving.
My answer to Armando’s question would be No for sulforaphane supplements. I’d consider a whole broccoli sprout powder after lab assays were personally verified.