To better understand our internal origins of panic, here’s Dr. Arthur Janov’s interpretation of a 2013 Iowa study Fear and panic in humans with bilateral amygdala damage (not freely available):
“Justin Feinstein did a study with those who had a damaged amygdala, the hub of the emotional system. They did not have normal fear responses. But if oxygen supplies were lowered and carbon dioxide supplies were increased, mimicking suffocation (increasing acidity of the blood) there were panic attacks.
Where in the world did those attacks come from? Certainly not from the usual emotional structures.
They believe it includes the brainstem! Because the lowering of oxygen supplies and adding carbon dioxide provoked the lower structures to sense the danger and reacted appropriately.
Very much like what happens to a fetus when the mother smokes during pregnancy and produces those same effects.”
Since those of us who chronically experience panic aren’t going into therapy over this weekend, what else can we do?
1. Stop looking at the John Hopkins Panic map.
2. Search out realistic news such as: “Change in [New York state] ICU admissions is actually a negative number for the first time since we started this intense journey.”
3. Stop clicking sensational headline links.
4. Question your information, and investigate multiple views. Trust has been lost:
- Dr. Scott Jensen, a Minnesota physician for 35 years and state senator, on the inappropriate CDC / WHO guidelines for reporting COVID-19 deaths:
“It’s ridiculous. The determination of cause of death is a big deal. The idea that we’re going to allow people to massage and game the numbers is a real issue because we’re going to undermine trust.
I would never put down influenza as the cause of death. Yet that’s what we’re being asked to do here.”
- The same day, Dr. Fauci arrogantly grouped physicians in with conspiracy theorists if they didn’t conform to these bordering-on-fraudulent CDC / WHO guidelines:
“Every time we have a crisis of any sort, there’s always this popping-up of conspiracy theories. I think the deaths that we’re seeing are coronavirus deaths, and the other deaths are not being counted as coronavirus deaths.”
Telling people to trust him – a bureaucrat who hasn’t been in active practice for over three decades – because he had far superior medical judgment than did practicing doctors who for years continuously see patients?
- Consider the evidence.
- Don’t accept lies you feel uneasy about. Trust your internal BS detector.
Which herd will you choose to belong to?